Staying safe on campus is the number one most important thing for the time you spend in college (and for the rest of your life, to be honest). Is it important that you and your friends are aware of everything you need to do to stay safe on campus. Here are a few helpful tips and guidelines:
- Be aware of your campus security and police stations. When your living on campus, there are plenty of resources that you could use for safety. When you first move in it would be a good idea to store the phone numbers of the university’s police station, campus security, and your resident hall RA (resident assistant). Most university’s have “Blue Lights” stations as well (click link to read more about how these work)
- Carrying pepper spray in your purse or keychain is an awesome and easy way to help you stay safe at all times. Read the directions and learn how to use it properly before you start carrying it around that way you’ll be prepared if you ever need to use it. You could find these on Amazon, or Dicks Sporting Goods. You may also be able to find cute ones that resemble lipstick bottles and other feminine products that disguise them in a way.
- Believe it or not, staying safe in your dorm room is important as well. Keep windows and doors locked when your sleeping and aren’t in the room. Know the fire exits within the building and other emergency procedures. Make sure to keep your key on you at all times in a safe place when leaving your dorm room.
- Stick together with your friends! I cannot stress this enough. It’s always better to be with at least one other person than by yourself whether your walking to and from class or to the dining halls on campus. This is especially important if your traveling off campus to shopping centers and college parties. Travel together ladies!
- Staying safe at parties is crucial. First of all, don’t go anywhere that you are unfamiliar with. If you plan to drink, drink your own beverage and nothing anyone offers to you at a party. If you have an open cup, keep your hand over the top at ALL times. Be aware of whats going on around you and know your limits. So many things can go wrong at a college party and you want to make sure you could have a good time while staying safe. And again, travel to and from with your friends, never alone.
- Most college campus’ offer different types of self defense classes that you could go to with your friends, and they could be a lot of fun! Learning how to protect yourself will be a skill you could use for the rest of your life and gives you a sense of empowerment. I would highly recommend trying it out.
Although this is a more serious post of mine, I felt its an extremely important aspect of your everyday life as a college student and these tips will be useful for you to stay safe and enjoy your time on campus. Stay safe ladies! XOXO